Some Notes from Panama
I didn’t pack as much in to my stop in Panama — but I enjoyed it overall. I went to Panama City. I was surprised right when I reached the airport how modern it seemed. Really nicer than most US airports.
A few notes from the trip:
- I stayed in Casco Viejo — the old city area. Very touristy but nice to walk around and also lots of restaurants.
- There is a cool fish market we went to — Mercado de Mariscos — and also at lunch there
- We went to Panama Viejo but decided not to do the tour.
- Went to the Panama Canal at Miraflores Locks. First it feels like a bizarre tourist site to watch a dam. But then as the boats actually go through it is pretty cool to see how it works. They have a museum and also new video there showing the history of the Panama Canal told through the lens of kids over time narrated by Morgan Freeman. Just re-remembered the classic palindrome: “A man, a plan, a canal, Panama.”
- Took a Spanish class
- Walked Cinta Costera — which is a really nice bustling walkway with a great view of the Panama City skyline
- One thing I haven’t gotten used to yet is that in many places when I order fish they bring the full fish — with the head and everything. This has happened to me at least 3 times already.
- Seems to me that many people who spend more time to to the different islands like San Blas or other farther out cities… that would be something to do if I go visit in the future